The planned, round the world trip itinerary
Here is my planned, round the world itinerary. Like all things, it’s subject to change, and it most definitely will. I’ve decided to create an itinerary for one reason – to give me the freedom and flexibility to modify, ignore parts, or just abandon it totally.
Update 17/12/2017: I have pushed my departure date back by one month. Firstly, to coincide with camping grounds in Canada – most don’t open until May (and some roads may still be impassable). Secondly, it gives me the opportunity to see one more Test match at the SCG. 🙂
Update 5/02/2019: I have decided to split my USA leg into two, finishing the first half in Denver. From there, the plan is to go by train to San Diego, and spend the following two years in Central and South America. After that, it’s a flight back to San Francisco, and do a much revised second half – I’ve decided that I really want to see Alaska. This split will do away with my need to go through the hassle of a USA visa extension – which is never a guarantee.
Round the world draft itinerary
Updated: 5/02/2019 22:16 AEDT
|New Zealand||3 months||30th January, 2021||26th April, 2021|
|Canada||4 months||26th April, 2021||27th August, 2021|
|United States||6 months||28th August, 2021||24th February, 2022|
|South & Central America,|
|2 years||25th February, 2022||29th February, 2024|
|United States & Canada||7 months||1st March, 2024||31st October, 2024|
I’ve put together a series of maps, with proposed routes, which are linked below (each opens in a new tab/window).
- RTW, part I (New Zealand)
- RTW, part II (Canada: Vancouver, BC, to St. Stephen, NB)
- RTW, part III (Calais, ME, to Denver, CO)
- RTW, part IV (Central America: Matamoros, Mexico, to Panama City, Panama)
- RTW, part V (South America, Pt. I: Caracas, Venezuela, to Santiago, Chile)
- RTW, part VI (South America, Pt. II: Santiago, Chile, to São Luis, Brazil)
- RTW, part VII (USA & Canada: San Francisco, CA, to Anchorage, AK)
Anything beyond Anchorage is currently fluid. Do I go to Africa next? Or maybe Asia?