The planned, round the world trip itinerary
Here is my planned, round the world itinerary. Like all things, it’s subject to change, and it most definitely will. I’ve decided to create an itinerary for one reason – to give me the freedom and flexibility to modify, ignore parts, or just abandon it totally.
I will be starting my trip from the Sydney Opera House and cycling to Port Arthur, Tasmania (via Brisbane, Queensland), before flying to Queenstown, New Zealand. After a week there, pottering around, I will start pedalling through New Zealand, before flying on to Vancouver, British Columbia. Then it’s North and South America, the top of Africa, before moving on to the UK & Europe, Asia and then back to Australia.
It will probably take me a couple of years to cycle through North and South America. But I can’t really guess how long it will take for me to cycle through Europe (including the UK & Ireland), and Asia. The trip will end, after the final leg from Darwin, where it started: the Sydney Opera House. At the moment, the start date and year is up in the air. Covid-19 has totally screwed up my budgets.
I’ve put together a series of maps, with proposed routes, which are linked below (each opens in a new tab/window).
- Sydney Opera House, Sydney, NSW, Australia, to Port Arthur, TAS, Australia
- Queenstown, New Zealand, to Auckland, New Zealand
- Victoria, BC, Canada, to Clair, NB, Canada
- Fort Kent, ME, United States, to San Ysidro, CA, United States
- Tijuana, Mexico, to Panama City, Panama
- Caracas, Venezuela, to Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile, to Ushuaia, Argentina
- Ushuaia, Argentina, to Rio de Janeiro (or Brasilia), Brazil
- Casablanca, Morroco, to Tangier, Morroco
- Algeciras, Spain, to Roscoff, France
- Cork, Ireland, to Dover, United Kingdom
- Calais, France, to Helsinki, Finland
- Tallinn, Estonia, to Gallipoli, Turkey
- Lapseki, Turkey, to Horgas, Kazakhstan
- Khorgas, China, to Ningbo, China
- Incheon, South Korea, to Busan, South Korea
- Osaka, Japan, to Shimonoseki, Japan
- Ningbo to Dongxing, China
- Mong Cai, Vietnam, to Singapore
- Medan, Indonesia, to Dili, Timor-Leste
- Darwin, NT, Australia, to the Sydney Opera House, Sydney, NSW, Australia